How to lose weight after Diwali?
Diwali: The festival of lights and SWEETS, brings lot of joy and also weight. Diwali is infamous for being the time when people start eating different types of sweets that eventually adds to the flab that they have lost after dieting and exercising for a long time. It becomes very difficult for health conscious people to maintain their diet and keep a check on their calorie intake.
1) Exercise for 30-45 mins. Moderate-intense activity like Dancing, Swimming, Aerobics, Zumba, Skipping, Cycling, etc. It helps you to shed off extra calories and stay calm. You can modify your usual exercise routine by either cutting down on duration or frequency of workout. For example: If you walk 6 days /week for 60 mins, you can reduce to 4 days / wk for 30 – 40 mins , point here is to be consistent with exercise.
2) Diet control- avoid sweet, fattening and fried food. Go for a Detox Diet for 2-3 days and inculcate fruits, vegetables, milk, fruit and vegetable juices that will cleanse your system.
Reducing the portion of your meal will help you from adding extra weight. Begin your meal with vegetable soup or salad and then start with main course so that you can prevent second serving. Opt for handful of nuts. As it gives you 60-100 kcal, they are rich in proteins and minerals. Nuts contain essential nutrients and array of health protective biological ingredients. It improves overall quality of diet, but remembers to just take handful of them.
- 3) Distribute excess food among children, neighbours or less privileged people. Distributing excess food to the underprivileged is a noble gesture and also an effective way of giving away the food for which you might crave even after diwali. Thus by giving away food not only gives you a feeling of helping others but will also keep you away from cravings.
4) Walking stretches your mind and your soul. It is dynamic mind & body process which creates a sense of rhythm. The oxygen that you get early in the morning also gives you great amount of energy especially to your joints. The movement in your legs releases good cholesterol in your blood. Walking four times a weak, 45 minutes each time, the average person can lose 18 pounds in a year with no change in diet. Walking can help you trim fat as well as tone your muscles. Walking, at any level or speed, two or three times a week for at least 20 minutes increases cardiovascular strength. By increasing the strength of your heart and lungs, you increase your ability not only to exercise longer and harder but also to perform everyday task without tiring.
5) Avoid junk food.
As soon as diwali completes people run back to Subway’s and McDonald’s, not just because they crave but because of its convenience, these foods are take-away’s and delivered faster, thus a lot of time is saved. But understanding the fact that after diwali it is very much essential to keep a check on weight because habit of eating large and eating at improper timings once starts, its very difficult to rectify and takes lot of efforts. Therefore, junk of take-away foods should be completely avoided.
6) Prefer more liquids than solids to cleanse your system.
As we all know common saying drink like fish, water is a weight loss drink. OR you can opt for low calorie drinks like sweet or salted lime soda, Nariyalpani, or ½ glass of fruit juice, jaljeerapani. Soups, broths, juices are best options.
7) Avoid larger gaps in meals
The concept of Post festive diet is still not understood by many. People just want to lose weight in any situations, for example not eating at particular times. People often misunderstand the concept of starving or skipping meals thinking less food means less weight, which is absolutely false. Keeping larger meal gaps puts off the biological clock of the body that has been set for a long time. Thus the enzymes secreted for digestion and absorption processes for that particular time will now work inefficiently because of the delay in your meal. Thus disrupting your normal bodily function. This might not help in losing weight but can be a reason for weight gain in long term
8) Avoid sleeping at odd hours (afternoon, late morning)
Sleeping at odd times lowers your body’s metabolism, leading to slower digestion and absorption processes, lethargy, acidity and other problems. You may also feel bloated or nauseous. Due to slower processes, body does not utilize the nutrients but stores it, which adds on to the weight. Sleeping immediately after eating is the worst case scenario, because the stomach and intestine do not secrete or secrete enzymes for digestion at a very slow rate leading to lowered BMR and weight gain.
9) Indulge in some form of activity, play with children so that the body perspires and loses fat.
Diwali holidays are the time people wait for. Because its one of the biggest festival celebrated and people get good time to spend quality time with family, friends and loved ones. Playing with kids, spending sometimes not only keeps you happy and calm but also helps you lose weight. HOW? Kids are impulsive and full of energy, playing with them gives you same amount of happiness and energy which helps you shed those extra kilos gained during diwali.
1) Skip meals: Skipping meals would only add to water retention and loss of muscle for providing energy to metabolic processes of the body. Larger meal gaps lead to imbalance in the biological clock of the body leading to slower or inefficient enzyme and hormone secretions that are essential for regular/normal functioning of the body.
2) Fasting: Do not fast frequently and avoid extreme fasting.
3) Vigorous Exercise: Always start with low intensity exercise and gradually increase the exercise intensity so that body adapts and functions smoothly. Its a myth that only vigorous exercise helps lose weight.. NO!!! sustained exercises (30-60 mins) of moderate intensity also helps to burn fat.
4) Crash diets: Crash diets may provide short term goals. Since it reduces or omits one or more major food groups, it is not considered to be best solution to keep your body healthy.
So follow these tips, get started and shed off those flabs. Last but not the least follow the mantra :
The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Courtesy : http://healthandnutrition.co.in/how-to-lose-weight-after-diwali/